Omaha Beach will be an overwhelming favorite in the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile, but he is not the only star attraction in this solid field. Below is my analysis and betting strategies for the Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile.
1. Mr. Money (#4, 6-1) The last time he race at a mile, he was visually jaw-dropping. Like his sire Goldencents, he is a good enough horse to compete well at longer distances, but ultimately he will prove to be a star at a mile.
2. Omaha Beach: (#5, 8-5): He is incredibly talented and versatile. It is tough to play against possibly the best horse in training for the top spot, but he offers no value and is likely to bounce a bit following a big effort off a layoff.
3. Diamond Oops (#9, 15-1): He has taken tremendous strides since being gelding and returning to dirt should help this runner who finished in front of Mitole that last time he tried dirt. Look for him to sit just off the early pace and hang around late.
4. Improbable: (#2, 3-1) This colt has the look of a true miler and he would be no surprise in this spot. He can often be his own worst enemy however; and must relax at the gate to run his best.
5. Giant Expectations (#1, 12-1) This horse has improved with the addition of blinkers and always seems to give a good account of himself. He could easily fill out exotic wagers if he breaks with the field.
6. Spun to Run (#3, 6-1) He ran off the screen with a 110 Beyer Speed Figure last time out and is 2 for 2 at a mile. The problem is, typically what happens at Parx, stays at Parx.
7. Blue Chipper (#8, 20-1) This gelding was awesome in Korea, winning 7 of 8 races with ease, but no horse from Korea has ever run in the Breeders' Cup as there is a sharp step up in competition.
8. Coal Front (#7, 6-1) He does not seem to be the same horse since returning from his Dubai win as he was all out against lesser at Parx last time out after 2 straight subpar efforts. He looks like a pace causality in this race.
9. Snapper Sinclair (#10, 30-1) This colt is at his best over turf and has never won anything more than an Allowance event over the dirt.
10. Ambassadorial: (#6, 30-1): He brings very little dirt experience into this race and is taking a monumental step up in class in this spot.
$20 Betting Strategy
$3 Exacta Box (4,5)
$1 Exacta Box (4,9)
$1 Exacta Box (2,4)
$1 Exacta Straight (4 - 1)
$ 1 Trifecta 4, 5 - 4,5 - 1, 2, 4, 5, 9
$ 0.50 Trifecta 4,5 - 1,2,4,5,9 - 4,5