The Breeders' Cup Juvenile could arguably be the most formful race of the Breeders' Cup as Dennis' Moment appears to be a star in the making. Below is my analysis and betting strategies for the marque two-year-old race of the year.
- Dennis' Moment: Has won his last two starts in effortless fashion and trains as well as he runs. He looks like the total package and should be the brightest of future stars running on Friday. Look for him to capture this race in impressive fashion on his way to a big three-year-old campaign.
- Eight Rings: Has done nothing wrong when the jockey stays aboard. He will be the likely pacesetter and will take some running down following a convincing victory in the American Pharoah over this track and distance
- Shoplifted: He could spice up the exotics at a bit of a price. This expensive colt looked super winning on debut, before running an okay 2nd on a sloppy track that he reportedly hated. He received a strange ride after breaking a bit poorly in the American Pharoah and can be given one more chance to make some noise with a more aggressive ride today.
- Scabbard: Had a touch of trouble in the Iroquois, but was never going to challenge Dennis' Moment, who was geared down in victory. He is not quite fast enough to win, but he is definitely worth using underneath in exotics.
- Anneau d'Or: This expensive colt romped home in his only start on the grass. He is bred to handle dirt and could be a very talented horse, but he is being asked to try a new surface and winners for the first time against a salty bunch.
- Storm the Court: After losing his rider in the Del Mar Futurity, he responded with a respectable 3rd in the American Pharoah. He must make up over 8 lengths on Eight Rings however; and he is not even the horse to beat.
- Wrecking Crew: He exits the Del Mar Futurity, which was an extremely weak Grade 1 considering Eight Rings and Storm the Court were taken out of the race at the start. If he could not beat his stablemate Nucky that day, then he is not going to beat this type today.
- Full Flat: The Japanese import will be trying dirt and trying a route for the first time. This is an awfully tough test for a shipper trying multiple things for the first time with only a maiden win under his belt.
$20 Betting Strategy
$4 Ex Straight: Dennis' Moment with Eight Rings
$1 Ex Straight: Dennis' Moment with Shoplifted and Scabbard
$2 Trifecta: Dennis' Moment with Eight Rings, Shoplifted & Scabbard with Eight Rings, Shoplifted & Scabbard
$1 Trifecta: Dennis' Moment with Eight Rings and Shoplifted with Scabbard