I cannot remember the last time I favored a non-European in the Juvenile Fillies Turf, but Newspaperofrecord looks to be a budding superstar. Here is how I plan on betting the Juvenile Fillies Turf while keying the favorite on a $25 budget.
Ranking the Contenders
- Newspaperofrecords (#6, 2-1) has won both starts by open lengths and is proven over soft turf. It is rare to see a speed horse with her turn of foot and sudden acceleration, but the way she kicked on when asked in the Miss Grillo Stakes was a sight to behold. She will certainly not be defeated by any Americans, and it would take a huge effort from the Europeans to defeat this freak.
- Just Wondeful (#4, 6-1) looms the best chance of pulling off an upset. She is a bit inconsistent, but her best races have been very impressive. She is one for one going one mile and has won over a variety of turf conditions. Aidan O’Brien and Ryan Moore will almost certainly team up to win a couple of Breeders’ Cup races and this could be the first.
- Lily’s Candle (#3, 8-1) is 2 for 2 at a mile, has won on soft turf, has won going a left-handed turn and has defeated males. She faces her stiffest class test yet, but checks all the boxes coming into the race.
- Varenka (#9, 20-1) had a very tough trip when running second to Newspaperofrecords. She is still a maiden, but showed big improvement in her first start in Lasix. If Newspaperofrecords wins easily again, there is no reason why this filly can’t run 2nd.
- East (#14, 20-1) showed a nice turn of foot to win from last. This well-bred filly could prove to be a star, but this may be too steep of a class hike in only her third career start.
- Concrete Rose (#1, 6-1) has done nothing wrong, but I do not think much has been behind her in those wins. I prefer the upside that others offer on the win end, but could see her grabbing a piece.
- La Pelosa (#5, 15-1)
- Belle Luna (#8, 20-1)
- The Mackrem Bullet (#2, 15-1)
- My Gal Betty (#13, 20-1)
- Summering (#12, 15-1)
- Lady Prancealot (#11, 30-1)
- Stellar Agent (#7, 30-1)
- Pakhet (#10,12-1)
$3 Exacta 6 with 3,4
$2 Exacta 3,4 with 6
$1 Exacta 6 with 9, 14
$1 Trifecta 6 with 3, 4 with 1, 3, 4, 9, 14
$ 0.50 Trifecta 3,4 with 6 with 1, 3, 4, 9, 14